Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

Still sitting by the phone, waiting to hear from the previous interview. It sucks, I'm anxious to get going and it seems like a good company to work for. But they may lose out due to the delays.

Monday morning I get a call from an agency I signed up with 3 months ago. When I signed up was the last time I had heard from them. They guy says a job is coming up today and he thinks I would be a good fit so he want to present me to the company. I say cool, go for it, and get back to waiting. So about 4:30 he calls and tell me that I have an interview at 9 AM Tuesday. He tells me about the company, gives me info to research them, says they know my salary requirements and they're OK on that end.

We have the meeting yesterday morning. The building is not as pretty as the first interview but the guys I meet are nice. We go through the usual interview stuff, you know, my background, what the job is. I know I can do this job and it seems like they know it too. They leave it with me that they have to talk to their corporate office and they'll get back to me. Ready for more waiting.

4 PM I get a call to the regional credit manager in Iowa. He sets up a 10 AM phone interview with me today. Damn, they must be interested. He tells me we'll talk and then I'll get a call from HR and talk to them a bit. If all goes well I should have an answer in a few days. This is moving fast and I'm trying not to get my hopes too high but I'm thinking I could dig this job.

I've been out of work for 3 months now. My severance ran out 3 weeks ago. I'm dipping into money I don't want to and that won't last for long. I must have sent out 100 resumes since I've been out and nothing. But now I've had 3 interviews in the last 3 weeks (hmmm, a lot of 3's in there). I hate this kind of pressure. A friend told me "this is how it happens for you. When your back is up against the wall it all falls into place for you. You should be used to that." She's probably right but at 53 I want things to start falling into place a lot earlier. I have enough grey hairs.

I hope the second half of my life gets easier.

4 Comments:

Blogger RedWifey said...

I'm feeling the pressure with you!! I don't know why it has to be like this (feast or famine) but it seems that that is the way life goes sometimes.

Take care and know I am praying!

9:56 AM  
Blogger hard.rox said...

Good luck, Bob. Hope you hear something soon.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Redlefty said...

Maybe you're getting squeezed and put into heat so you can be turned into a diamond? Then you can look forward to being wrapped around some lady's finger. :)

Got a good feeling about your prospects!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Hal Johnson said...

Thinking good thoughts for you, Bob. I know how you feel, since our strike lasted longer than the strike benefits did. Looking forward to hearing about your new position.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home