Tuesday, May 22, 2007

It's a Beautiful Day


What a beautiful day yesterday was. And today is starting out that way too. I spent the day at a golf course - and didn't hit one ball. And it was still a great day.

Sean had the PSAL Championship yesterday. He didn't do as well as he thought he would. Or even as he should. And, in a way, I'm glad he didn't do so well. It will take some of the cockiness out of him, I hope. I think Sean has the potential to be a very good low-handicap golfer. He can hit the ball a long way and is becoming very good with his iron shots. However his swing will not hold up under any pressure, as he learned yesterday. But he refuses to listen to any instruction. I made a comment to Bill Hartman at the Summit who answered "Of course he won't listen to you. He's 16. He knows everything".

I made a video of his first tee shot yesterday and showed it to him after the round. I pointed out a few things I saw in it that he needs to work on to get the repeating swing needed for good golf. "Why haven't you said anything to me before?", he said but then thought about his question. I have tried, many times to get him to listen. Hopefully this will get him past his stubborness. If it does he will see real improvement.

So I spent the day in the sun, working on my farmer's tan, reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I had read this book when it first came out around 1990. Since I haven't been very effective lately I felt I needed a refresher course. It's a very different read second time around. I had a few reflective "You're a dumbass" moments while reading but that's good. I know that I can be better.

Still no hits on the job front. Sent out a bunch of resumes last week but no responses yet. There's always the McDonald's around the corner but that didn't work out too well for Kevin Spacey so I'm not sure about that.

The picture above is the 18th green, Black Course, Bethpage State Park.

Edited to add -
Here's the link to the story of the championship. I know he can play a lot better than his score.

2 Comments:

Blogger Redlefty said...

Weird; I've got the same book on my nightstand, and somehow had never read it until now.

I like the new look of the blog, and the fact that Sean may have gotten his bubble burst a little, in a healthy way.

If only you had Kevin Spacey's one-year severance from that movie!

11:44 AM  
Blogger gobbla said...

Sounds like some pretty awesome stuff going on man! Glad you enjoyed your weekend.

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home