Thursday, June 21, 2007

Cry, Baby

It seems like the "coach" has his panties in a bunch again. Poor guy, he's so misunderstood. Actually, he's the one who doesn't understand.

You may have a love-hate feeling about the internet but you have a hate-hate feeling about internet forums. Maybe it's because you've spent so many years in the small world of a college strength coach, with a captive audience that must listen to you without question or they don't get to play. But us "bleacher bums" do question what we read, it's how we learn. I'm sure you didn't form your training philosophy without questioning what you were being taught. But you expect a different reaction from us. All that does is make you look like a pompous ass.

And it's funny that you insult us when we are actually your market. Go look how many fitness books are in the Amazon top 100 (I'll save you time - there are none). I doubt very many know your name in the gym I go to. And that gym has over 3,000 members. Do you think you're a household name in many gyms across the country? I doubt that too. The internet fitness forum is your market, and yet you insult and try alienate it, calling us bums, saying we're not intelligent or competent enough to decide whether a product is good enough to spend on.

Have you ever gone to a movie and thought it was so bad that you were sorry you wasted your money on it? Have you ever told a friend not to waste their money? But you're not an actor, or director, or screenwriter. What gives you the right to say that? Oh, that's right, you're a consumer. You see, big guy, while the others in your fitness trainers circle jerk club can stroke you and say "Dos, it's the bomb" they don't matter. Because I have something they don't have - my money. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of writing a book, of trying to make a name for yourself is to make my money your money. And if I spend my money and in my opinion your programs sucks, your writing style is irritating, even if your binding is of inferior quality, as the consumer I have every right to say that.

But you don't have to worry, "coach", I won't offend you with a negative review of your book. Because I guarantee there is no way it will make it on to my bookshelf. And it's not because I don't see you as a competent coach and teacher. I know full well you are. It's because of your piss-poor attitude. But hey, it's not like you're the only one who teaches this stuff. I'm sure I can find someone just as competent who I'll enjoy giving my money to. You're probably thinking "It's only one book". Is it?


PS - I found it funny that you whine about internet keyboard jockeys and bloggers and yet this was the forum you chose for your tirade. Comical, to say the least. Toodles.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Quality rebuttal Bob! Wait! I may not be qualified to have an opinion.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Redlefty said...

I bow before you.

One other thing -- as disappointed as I am in the coach's rant, I'm hoping he comes around and sees his error.

Your ownage could only be surpassed by his apology.

10:30 AM  
Blogger RedWifey said...

YOU tha bomb, Bob!! :)

10:33 AM  
Blogger Redlefty said...

p.s. -- It's nice to see you're still alive, Gabe. Your absence has been noted. Sadly.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Hal Johnson said...

Good post, Bob. I think the guy in question has a lot to offer: it's not every "fitness guru" who has the opportunity to train 200 people at a time, monitor the results, and offer conclusions based on what he's observed. Maybe he's not really pompous so much as stuck in an autocratic outlook. The bottom line, though, is that he needs to cater to his market, and that won't happen if he expects us to just shut up and listen.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for noticing. Once the fun gets back into and we get past all this I'll try to be more of a presence.

No back to your regularly scheduled comments on Bob's blog.

4:35 PM  
Blogger NB said...

I just want to call him a fucktard

8:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well Bob, it seems that you are channeling a lot of people's thoughts. Nice response. I agree with nb's assessment.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Mahler said...

Bob,
Very well said. You are very passionate about this topic and it shows. I only hope that at some point this can all be put behind us, but you said things that needed to be said, for us little guys.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Bob Devlin said...

Thanks for the support, everyone. It is appreciated.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home