Saturday, June 30, 2007

Come Talk to Me

Had an interview yesterday. The company is a competitor of my former place of employment so I have knowledge of who they are and what they do. I met yesterday with the director of credit for the east coast and one of the regional credit managers. The director starts by saying "Before we get into discussing the job I like to go over some points about your resume". Fair enough and not unexpected. But then he pulls out the paper - we're going to play 20 questions. Among them - "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" "At this point in my life I'm hoping to see myself retired in 10 years." (chuckles all around) "What kind of pressure do you have on the job?" "If I have pressure on the job it's self-inflicted." (puzzled look) "If you hire me it's with certain expectations. If I meet or exceed them then there's no pressure. If I don't there is. And that's my fault".

Finally the director turns it over to the regional CM (I'm older than both of them and have been doing this job for longer than both. You'd think that with over 20 years of experience they'd show me a little resp...sorry, I just channeled someone else there for a minute ;) ). Anyway, the regional guy asks me a pretty open-ended question and we have a nice chat for the next 20 minutes. After that we discuss the position, I ask some questions as we go along and make some analysis that, I think, made a few light bulbs go on. All in all the interview went on for about an hour and a half. There's no doubt in my mind I could do this job, and do it well. But that decision is not up to me.

I have another interview on Thursday. Different industry, which really intrigues me. I'm always up for a good challenge, especially when it comes to work. Plus this job would pay better than the competitor would. It's a much larger company with a recognizable name. I'm really looking forward to this one.

So, I'm hoping that one of these come through. And now I have to do some car shopping. I'll need something soon if they do.

2 Comments:

Blogger gobbla said...

Looks promising. Good news is good news!

3:32 PM  
Blogger RedWifey said...

That's super great news!! Yeah!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home