Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Time and a Word

Had a chance to speak with Chris yesterday and had more time than we have had in a long time. He was on overnight duty in his barracks, pulling a 6 pm to 9 am shift, so we had a good time to talk. He sounded good, I can tell he's maturing while over there. He plans on doing some more traveling while he has his time in Europe.

The purpose of his call was to let me know that they got the word - his unit will be deploying for Iraq in November. A 15 month tour, which will keep him there through February of 2009. A long time. His unit is starting their field training and he said it will get pretty intense during the summer, preparing for deployment. He changed his leave from June to September so it's still a while before I get to see him again. And then an even longer while.

He told me again not to worry. Easier said than done.

5 Comments:

Blogger Redlefty said...

No pithy sayings or feigned wisdom here. Just letting you know I read your entry and am thinking about you and your young man (no longer a boy, clearly).

7:57 PM  
Blogger Hal Johnson said...

I have a friend who was a Navy Helldiver pilot at the end of World War II. We were having lunch together one day, and I asked him if ever got over worrying about his kids. "No," he said. "Hal, I have kids who are grandparents now, and I still worry about them." They may be little for just a short while, but few of us ever "get over" the joys and burdens of being their parents.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Bob Devlin said...

Yes, Hal, I don't think you ever stop worrying about your children. It's part of being a parent.

And thank you, Michael, for your thoughts. I'm feeling somewhat down about this as, due to my circumstances, I don't have anyone to really share this with. After all this time you think that would be something I could get used to.

1:11 PM  
Blogger gobbla said...

It's the way of these things. Hope for the best.

Thoughts and Prayers

3:33 PM  
Blogger RedWifey said...

Bob, my friend! I am so sorry! I will pray for safety for him and comfort for you.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home