Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Chris Update

So, it's official. He's in the Army. But there was an interesting turn of events.

When he failed his hearing test for the second time they gave him a waiver on the test. He went back for his psychiatric test and passed. As he was getting ready to sign up they told him he could not qualify for tank training because of the hearing waiver. Needless to say he was pissed. His recruiter should have told him this. One of the other recruiters took him aside and talk to him for an hour. Because he scored so high on his apptitude test he apparantly could pick any job he wanted.

So after much deliberation he has settled on combat engineer. Those are the guys that build the temporary facilities and bridges when there is a campaign going on. A little more out of the line of fire. So he'll be leaving on June 15th for 16 weeks of basic training. After that he'll have his choice of which base he wants to be stationed at. One of his choices is Hawaii. I think he's leaning to that one.

All in all he seems happier with this choice. He had talked about switching his major at college to engineering or architecture so now he'll be getting the training and being paid for it.

I must say I'm happier with this choice.

(PS The workouts are continuing, I'm just not posting them. Posting does not really motivate me, and I know what I have been doing).

7 Comments:

Blogger Marykaa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:36 AM  
Blogger jennmedic said...

Great news Bob. You must be so relieved. That is much better news, so glad to hear it. This is sounding like a very good oppurtunity for Chris. Awesome Bob, really awesome :D

10:29 PM  
Blogger hardrox said...

I can sense your relief in your writing style, Bob. Glad to hear that Chris will be in a position further from harm's way. That plus he'll get some training that is transferable to a job outside the Army. He sounds like a bright kid. I'm sure his Army experience will be beneficial to him.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Bob Devlin said...

Thanks, all. It has gone from the appearance of just a random, desperate act to one where I think he actually has a plan, and a good one at that. he's excited about this, which is making me excited about it, too.

I've had to opportunity to vent a little here, which I don't often get to do. Your support here has helped me immeasurably. I can't thank you enough for that.

10:29 AM  
Blogger NB said...

Good deal bud. That's great to hear.

I figured out what the hell I wanted to do pretty early, but I didn't figure out how to act like a kid until very late. I'm goofier now at 20 than I was at 13. He's going through the opposite of what I did.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Roland Denzel said...

I'm sure you're relieved, as I would be if my son ever joins the service.

I would be very proud of him, yet scared to death.

Combat Engineer sounds like a good position, too. Maybe good experience for later on in life.

Take care,

Roland (aka Lost Dog)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Bob Devlin said...

Thanks, I'll still be both for the next four and a half years. Maybe not as bad as I was initially. But it's a long F'ing time.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home