Friday, April 06, 2007

Sunrise, Sunset

I've been getting to see more sunrises with my early commute start. I tend to like sunrises better than sunsets, although both offer spectacular sights. Maybe it's because it's a new start, a renewal of sorts that sets the tone for the rest of the day. Who knows, I'm not usually that deep.

I can remember one sunrise that struck me one morning going to play golf. For those that don't know public course golf in the New York area is an adventure. There are thousands of public course golfers but very few public courses. It's very hard to get a reservation to play on the weekends, you have to call a week in advance after a certain time, and those slots go very quickly. Most courses do hold a few spots open for signups on the day of play, but you have to get to the course very early to get in. At Bethpage State Park the cars with the real crazy golfers start lining up at 7 PM on Friday to get a spot on Saturday (the earliest I've gone is 1 AM, but I've already alluded to my insanity before).

One summer morning I was driving out to Montauk Downs Golf Course, a very nice Robert Trent Jones course I like to play when I'm out in that area. I had left in the dark but the sky was starting to ligthen up as morning approached. Driving out on highway 27 I had Kitaro's Dream CD blasting, and the music hit a crescendo as I came out of a wooded area to see a sky ablaze with light, going from red to orange to the deep blue remnant of night. The clouds were a deep gray but the bottom of them bright red, giving them a look of fireballs in the sky. It was a straight drive from there and I watched the morning open up into a beautiful day.

Seeing the sunrises has been helping with my moods in the morning lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home