Thursday, March 29, 2007

Under Pressure

Decision time. I've decided that tomorrow I give my 2 week notice. Since they made the announcment to us back in February they've taken the heart out of this job. Where I had felt that what I had been doing was good and important to the company there is now a big void and I feel that it's unimportant, that I'm unimportant. Throw in a commute that I'm not enjoying and it makes going there an extremely difficult task. And my feelings about this has started drifting into other areas of my life and that's not good. So it has to be over.

This bites because I really liked this job. The people in my office are good friends and I feel bad for them too, we're all in the same boat. And I'm going to miss the people in our other offices that I've been able to get to know and work with. There's a collective feeling around the company that my office is not the last to go. Not good.

So last day will be April 11th, a couple of days in Little Rock and then to the job search. To that end I went on an interview at an employment agency today. I think it went well, it was good practice to talk about what I had done and get me more comfortable for future interviews. I think I impressed the guy with what I have done and damn I look good in a suit ;-)

So I'm feeling good about this decision and don't you know something else has to come up to keep the pressure on. It seems my good friend Tony (Gobbla of the gobblog listed over on the right)(good friend even though I haven't met him in person yet - don't fuck up your pass to next year's summit) thinks that I have some admirable qualities. Damn, this is going to be tough to live up to. (Thanks, bud)

6 Comments:

Blogger RedWifey said...

I'm glad you've made the decision and that the end will be so close to our (that is the collective our, not you and me our) little get together in Little Rock! But I am sorry that you are going to miss your friends. Tony's right: you are a good man, Bob!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Hal Johnson said...

Good luck, Bob. I empathize big time, since in the next couple of months, I'll be deciding whether to leave an employer I've been with for twenty-seven years. May this change bring nothing but good things for you.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Bob Devlin said...

RW, you mean there's someone else? ;) Just kidding. And thanks for your kind words.

Hal, thanks for stopping by and your good wishes. Wow, 27 years. My best was 14 and there I was "restructured" out of that job too. I'm starting to think there's a black cloud over my head.

7:54 AM  
Blogger jennmedic said...

Bob I think that this is a good solid decision. You will find something that you will enjoy. You are a good person and I feel lucky to have a best friend like you. Keep your chin up, everything will fall into place, you have the drive to make it happen. Be the master of your life and things will happen.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Bob Devlin said...

Thank you, Jenn. Ditto on the "lucky to have a best friend". I can't thank you enough for the support you have given me and your ear when I needed it. I owe you big time.

12:00 PM  
Blogger hard.rox said...

Good luck with the job search, Bob. I'm sure you'll find something that fits your goals.

Just don't around the bars in LR soliciting free beers...."Can you help out fella that's down on his luck". LOL

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home